Tuesday 30 October 2012

After 2 Days of Training


On arrival at Koenig Dehradun, the first thing you notice is that it is only half built. It does have an upper floor but it is only a concrete shell. It is in an IT park with similarly grand designs. But there are some enormous buildings there that are not occupied, or at best sparsely so. The ground floor of Koenig has 32 labs. I think I have counted, at most, 14 students there. Variously from: Nigeria, Kenya, India, Belgium, Switzerland, Papua New Guinea and USA. Many people are staying for 3, 4, 5 months to take as many Microsoft & Cisco qualifications that exist. To be honest they seem to be treating it as an extended holiday with a bit of added value thrown in. I am the only person here studying Red Hat, which means I get 1-1 tuition. This makes the course even better value, all my queries and problems answered at once.

The first surprise for me was that my trainer was quite a bit younger than me & female. You don't get many women in UNIX. Her name is Shikha, and speaks very good English and generally understands my questions. We have flown through the first course in 2 days. The plan is for course 2 to take up Wed, Thur & Fri. On Saturday we start course 3, which we will finish the following Wednesday with Sunday off for sightseeing.

My last three full days in Dehradun will be exam practice, then exam practice, then more exam practice.
I go back to Delhi by the evening train on Sunday 11th November. Exam on Monday. Then madness descends as Diwali takes over for a day or two. I might try & sneak down to Agra if the exam results are good.

On several recommendations I have booked the Deluxe Inn for my return. I've seen photos and it looks like £13 per night well spent.

Anyway, hugely enjoyable so far if hard work. There is a lot to pack in.

No comments:

Post a Comment