Tuesday 30 October 2012

The Journey To Dehradun


The day started with a 05:30 taxi ride to Delhi train station. As in all other parts of Delhi it was teeming with people and general brouhaha. I was in first class, which on first sight didn't look much like first class but actually was very comfortable.
There was masses of room, and waiters kept giving me stuff: a newspaper, bottle of water, tea & biscuits, cornflakes & hot milk, spiced potato cakes with green beans, fruit juice, more tea, bananas.. I slept for a some of it and read the genuinely "laugh out loud" Boxer, Beetle by Ned Beauman. I figured Red Hat could wait.
In typically efficient Koenig style I was met on the platform by another taxi driver who took me to the Country House. What the Country House is not: warm, luxurious, blessed with superfast wifi. What the Country House is: quiet, relatively secluded, big rooms, nice staff and decent Indian food. Its a relief after Delhi.
The House is around 10km from the centre of Dehradun, and a 25 minute stroll to a village called Rajpur. I took a walk up there to see the monkeys and buy some beers for the fridge.
internet is restricted in the House to a 3G dongle, so I cannot post pictures. They can wait. Right now I'm off to take pictures of massive spiders.

No comments:

Post a Comment